Charleston with a Partner
Learn how to Charleston – with another person 🙂 Over these four classes, we’ll go through some 20s Charleston as well as 30s Charleston and all the fun stuff you can do with a partner. We’ll dance to early hot jazz as well as some later swinging jazz that’s great for high energy dancing.
Each class will be different, and you don’t have to come to all of them. We’ll be covering basic footwork to start off each class, and then we’ll try different figures each time and discover great music.
With Covid precautions in place, these classes must be taken with a set partner, and there will be no rotation in class. Come with a partner, stick with that partner. If you don’t already have a dance buddy who wants to learn the opposite role to you (i.e. to make a lead-follow pair – we suggest posting in our Facebook community to find somebody!
Space is limited, due to Covid precautions.
- 12 June – Charleston basics: how to dance the Charleston with a partner, to 20s hot jazz and 30s swinging jazz
- 19 June – Breakaway Charleston: aka Charleston swing outs, the precursor to lindy swing outs!
- 26 June – Expanding the vocab: we learn more Charleston moves and tricks to put in our partnered dancing toolkit
- 3 July – The cool stuff: Tandem Charleston (with fun entries and exits)
When & Where:
- Saturdays, 12 June – 3 July, 14h30-15h45 (please arrive on time!)
- Rosebank Methodist Church Hall
Pricing & Payment:
- Single class: R100 per person
- All four classes: R360 (save 10%)
- UCT students may join for free: online pre-booking is mandatory – use the coupon code uctstudent when you book, and bring your valid student card to class
- Pay online, right here, using PayFast (credit card or EFT) or your existing class credit (email us if you’re not sure) – no cash will be accepted at the venue
- If cash flow is an obstacle, please pop us an email, we’d be happy to work something out
What to bring:
- Comfy shoes that you can dance in (sneakers and formal shoes are great)
- A face mask that covers your nose and mouth
- Your own hand sanitiser
- A water bottle
- You must register and pay for the class online beforehand.
- There will be a sign-in and symptom-check at the door, with hand sanitiser.
- Face masks that cover the nose and mouth will be compulsory: anyone not abiding by this will be asked to leave.