How to Dance Solo to Jazz
Learn how to move your body to swinging jazz. In each class, we’ll learn a mini-routine incorporating classic solo jazz steps, to great swing-era jazz. This class is great for anyone who wants to learn to move with rhythm and style, and/or build up movements to use in partnered lindy hop.
This is a solo class, so you won’t be attached to another human while dancing. No dance experience needed. Each class will be different, and you don’t have to come to all of them. For those of you who have a bit more experience, we’ll offer some variations for you to try.
Space is limited, due to Covid precautions.
- 12 June – ABCs of authentic jazz: we learn some of the most well-loved jazz steps to put in our toolkit.
- 19 June– Swing Music 101: to enjoy dancing to swing music, it’s a good idea to understand it, right?
- 26 June– Expanding our vocab: we learn more authentic jazz moves, and try them to different songs with varied style and tempo.
- 3 July– It’s Shim Sham time: the solo jazz routine that all lindy hopper (should) know!
When & Where:
- Saturdays, 12 June – 3 July, 16h00-17h15 (please arrive on time!)
- Rosebank Methodist Church Hall
Pricing & Payment:
- Single class: R100 per person
- All four classes: R360 (save 10%)
- UCT students may join for free : online pre-booking is mandatory – use the coupon code uctstudent when you book, and bring your valid student card to class.
- Pay online, right here, using PayFast (credit card or EFT) or your existing class credit (email us if you’re not sure) – no cash will be accepted at the venue
- If cash flow is an obstacle, please pop us an email, we’d be happy to work something out
What to bring:
- Comfy shoes that you can dance in (sneakers and formal shoes are great)
- A face mask that covers your nose and mouth
- Your own hand sanitiser
- A water bottle
- You must register and pay for the class online beforehand.
- There will be a sign-in and symptom-check at the door, with hand sanitiser.
- Face masks that cover the nose and mouth will be compulsory: anyone not abiding by this will be asked to leave.