Intermediate Solo Jazz: Learn the Tranky Doo (Kalk Bay)
In this series of four classes, we’ll learn an old-school solo jazz routine called the Tranky Doo, which Frankie Manning & friends would do at the Savoy Ballroom in the 1930s, and later caught on widely in the lindy hop world.
If you’ve done some solo jazz or other solo dancing before, this class will be breezy and fun 💥 We’ll teach a different section of the routine each week, and spent a good amount of time breaking down and practising each move, so if you miss a week it’s no big deal! Stick around later for our Jazz Jam, a 1hr open social-practice (free if you take a class), from 16:00-17:00.
- Saturdays, 6 – 27 November, 13h30-14h30 (+ free Jazz Jam)
- Kalk Bay Community Centre
- Single class: R90 per person (no cash payments: book & pay online)
What to bring:
- Comfy shoes that you can dance in
- A face mask that covers your nose and mouth
- A water bottle
Here are Al Minns, Leon James and Pepsi Bethel performing the routine in the documentary “The Spirit Moves”: