Intro to Lindy Hop & Solo Jazz
Learn the basics of how to dance to old-school, foot-tapping jazz music from the swing era, with a partner (lindy hop) and without a partner (solo jazz). All classes are beginner-friendly. Take both classes and get 50% off the second one!
When & Where:
- Wednesdays, 4 – 25 August, 17h45-18h45 (Lindy Hop Basics) & 19h00-20h00 (Dancing Solo to Jazz) – please arrive on time!
- M&M Music and Performing Arts Academy, 191 Sunningdale Dr, Sunningdale, Cape Town
17h45-18h45: Intro to Lindy Hop
Over this series of partnered classes, we’ll cover the 8-count footwork that forms the basis of a lot of the lindy hop vocabulary, as well as a bunch of fun moves that’ll get you social dancing with your partner in no time. Each class will be a bit different, and you don’t have to come to all of them. We’ll be covering basic footwork to start off each class, and then we’ll learn different figures each time and discover great music. No dance experience is needed. With Covid precautions in place, these classes must be taken with a set partner, and there will be no rotation in class. Register with a partner, stick with that partner.
19h00-20h00: Intro to Solo Jazz
Over this series of solo classes, we’ll learn how to move and groove to the rhythms of swinging jazz music, starting with very basic steps and fun shapes. We’ll build what we learn into a mini-routine that you can practice at home. Each class will be different, and you don’t have to come to all of them. Since this is a solo class, you won’t be attached to another human while dancing. No dance experience is needed. For those of you who have a bit more experience, we’ll offer some variations for you to have fun with.
Space is limited, due to Covid precautions.
|Date||Intro to Lindy Hop: 17h45-18h45||Intro to Solo Jazz: 19h00-20h00|
|Wed 4 Aug||Basic 8-count footwork, flip-flops & yo-yos||Simple steps, groovy shapes (boogie forward, boogie back, mess-arounds, hallelujah rocks & more)|
|Wed 11 Aug||Basic 8-count footwork, 8-count send-outs & together||Building the fun with body isolations (fall off the log, suzie Q, apple jacks, shorty george)|
|Wed 18 Aug||Basic 8-count footwork, promenades & promenots||Solo Charleston joy (single & double kick-steps, basic charleston à la 20s & 30s, turn variations)|
|Wed 25 Aug||Basic 8-count footwork, lindy circles & pass-bys||More Solo Charleston joy (jump charleston & playing with rhythms)|
Pricing & Payment:
- Single class: R100 per person
- Both classes: R150 (50% off the second class)
- Pay online, right here, using PayFast (credit card or EFT) or your existing class credit (email us if you’re not sure) – no cash will be accepted at the venue
What to bring:
- Comfy shoes that you can dance in (sneakers and formal shoes are great)
- A face mask that covers your nose and mouth
- Your own hand sanitiser
- A water bottle
- You must register and pay for the class online beforehand.
- There will be a sign-in and symptom-check at the door, with hand sanitiser.
- Face masks that cover the nose and mouth will be compulsory: anyone not abiding by this will be expected to leave.