Everybody Leads, Everybody Follows (Kloof St)
No partner needed, since you’ll be learning both roles!
Taking inspiration from a handful of swing dance schools in other parts of the world, we’re going to try this out here in Cape Town. Gender roles in swing dancing are pretty passé: you’ll find that a number of women and men in our scene both lead and follow.
- More time on the dance floor (no more wallflowers waiting for dance partners)
- You get to meet more people, since in theory you’ll be dancing with everyone
- More dancing = more FUN
- Experiencing the “other” role will help you gain a better understanding of what’s needed in your “primary” role
- If you learn both roles at intermediate level, you won’t need to end up on waiting lists!
Starting from scratch (no dance experience needed), we’ll use basic 6-count patterns to learn the connection and physical communication skills needed to lead/follow well – and then we’ll switch roles to learn the same thing in the other role. Get ready for lightbulb moments of note!
This course is structured for first-timers, but more experienced dancers are strongly encouraged to take it as well, to learn the other role and improve their basic connection skills.
What to bring:
- Comfy shoes that you can dance in
- A face mask that covers your nose and mouth
- A water bottle
Please take note of our cancellation policy.